Wednesday, March 9, 2011

In Sickness and in Health

While it's not true with all positions, mine should have come with a clause similar to a marriage ceremony. We have had some amazing good times lately, playing in the backyard and the new sandbox, going to birthday parties, and even just getting back to taking long walks.
Then there is the sickness. Week before last, Emi was running, fell, and cut her forehead on the window sill. I have never had to call their mom to come home before, but it was just big enough it needed to be looked at, though not severe enough for the ER. Sure enough, they put a coat of glue on it mostly as a safeguard.
Then this week, Camila has been spiking super-high fevers (105.3). They took her to the doctor and got antibiotics Monday, but today it still spikes every time the Motrin wears off. She's off to the doctor now.
Emi and I are here at home. Emi has been a good little sister through the last few days, hamming it up to make Camila laugh. Today, however, she is teething and maybe a little jealous, so keeping up with the two of them has been exhausting. (And not good for the housework...)
On top of all that, I was in bed with a bad sinus infection all weekend and since it's still hanging on, I have given in and gotten antibiotics for it. Supposedly it is working on the infection but in the meantime it is making me very nauseous. This could be pretty much our worst week ever.
However, I tell you all that not just to update you, but to set the stage. I have joined a nanny forum where I am enjoying the chance to meet experienced nannies and ask them questions. One of them mentioned that being a nanny is one of the things that led her to reconsider marriage. She did mean from observing different parent relationships (particularly the husbands), not from caring for the children. But it set me off on my own tangent of thought.
Lately we've had several crazy days which you'd think would lead me to reconsider being a mother. EVER. But there's so many GOOD moments!
Like the other day when I said something funny and Camila giggled and said, "You crack me up!"
Or like the multiple times a day I pick Emi up and she wraps her arm around my neck.
Or like yesterday when Camila laid her head in my lap, tired and feverish, and declared softly, "You're my friend."
Or like when Emi grins so hard it wrinkles her nose.
Or like yesterday when Camila was feeling well enough for a short walk and told me she was scared of raccoons. "It's okay, raccoons can't get you," I told her.
She looked up at me. "Would you save me from a raccoon?"
"Yes, I would save you from a raccoon or a snake or a bee or a rat or anything else that dared to try to hurt my babies!"
She seemed confident, but it was confirmed when her mother came home. She wrapped one arm around my leg and leaned her head into her hip and announced, "Baba saves me from raccoons!"
Or like a few days ago when we were feeding some neighborhood cats a treat. I held one out to a cat, asking, "Do you want one?"
Emi said, "Sure!" and before I knew what happened, had popped it into her mouth!
All these little moments make the sick times seem worse in comparison, but they also make them easier to get through because we have more good times coming!
(However, prayers are appreciated!)

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh.... ((Hugs)) Yes, there are the hard times and the good times. Treasure all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you're exactly right. I'm married and I have three little boys, and the sweet, wonderful times make the harder times easier to bear.
    Good post, and I hope you feel better soon and that they figure out what's wrong with Camila. Poor baby. :-( I came over from Emily's blog, btw. :-)

    ReplyDelete