Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Big Girl

Someone suggested I do a weekly post about cute things Camila says or does. I like this idea, but am not sure what to call it. Does anyone have a suggestion?

This past week we potty trained and it seems to be sticking. She is not accident free all the time, but there is usually an explanation for the accident, such as she was asleep (her cough isn't helping things) or we didn't get to her in time.

When she went potty, we would give her a small candy. Apparently one evening last week her mom asked her during a discussion of her day, "And did the potty give you candy?"
She stared at her mom with disgust. "NO. BABA candy." I have to admit, I wouldn't be crazy about the idea that my candy came from the potty either!

When she used the potty with dry panties, we made phone calls, at least the first few times. Friday, her mother called her. Emi was crying for a bottle, so I just picked up the handset and handed it to Camila. She got very excited and walked off, cradling the phone to her ear. "Hi, Mama!" I got Emi settled and sat in the living room with her. After a few minutes, Camila suddenly said, "Bye, Mama!" and threw the phone to me. I told her mother she was done and hung it up.
As I was washing Emi's bottle, Camila brought the phone back. "Call Gaga?" (Gaga is her name for her paternal grandmother.)
"Sure. Or we can go see if she's on Skype." She eyed me skeptically, so I decided maybe she wasn't thrilled with that. "Do you want to use the phone or Skype?"
"Phone."
I dialed the number for her and when her grandmother picked up, explained that "Camila wanted to call and talk to you." I handed her the phone and she flounced out of the kitchen, away from me, as if to say, "I've got this." I followed her anyway and watched as she laid back on a mat on the floor, legs kicked up in the air. She looked so big, almost like a mini teenager. She laid there a full five minutes, chatting with her grandma about the whereabouts of various family members and the escapades of Mickey Mouse. It was so cute!

Then yesterday, since we have done so well pottying, we decided to venture out to Booksamillion. We found a book her mother had asked me to pick up, as well as a Dora book and the CUTEST Dr. Seuss book ("The Digging-est Dog") and headed for the register. Suddenly she froze. "MICKEY! MINNIE!"
She picked up two pens, with the characters on the top. "I buy it!" Before I could stop her, she marched up to an empty register, plopped them on the counter, and announced again, "I buy it."
The cashier smiled at her (this store is one of our favorite hangouts, so people vaguely know us). "You're going to buy these?"
"Camila, where's your money?" I asked.
She looked down at her pocketless dress and held it out. She lifted both hands in a shrug. "Money all gone!" Her face was so crestfallen we had to laugh.
"I guess your mommy will just have to buy it for you then, huh?" The cashier explained to me that she has a 2 1/2 year old daughter. "Just wait till she turns two!"
I didn't tell her we're already there in entirely too many ways. But she minds her manners well out in public (and mostly in private, we're just dealing with a little temper here and there), and most people are utterly charmed. In addition, her mother is teaching her some words, such as "bald" in Portuguese so if she chooses to comment on anything in public, no one will be able to understand her!

No comments:

Post a Comment