One thing about this job that really took me by surprise: it can change your whole identity. When I was in daycare, there was still a professional air to things. I was just a person that worked in a place of childcare. I had set hours, a boss, a set paycheck, co-workers (and co-worker issues), my "class" changed constantly, so that while I got attached to kids, they were soon taken away from me. But especially after I went to an 8-hour schedule, it was a job. Nannying can become a lifestyle.
If you've read this blog much you see how much I love these girls and how involved we are in each other's lives. Tonight I'm keeping them overnight again, and it's not a big deal for any of us (except maybe thier mother, but it's more of a guilt thing than a worry thing). Most of the town thinks I have two kids. People at Petsmart, Booksamillion, grocery stores, ice cream joints, and Blockbuster often look at me strangely when I come in alone and exclaim, "Where are the kids?" Our recent potty training experience caused some of my friends to complain, "Can you talk about ANYTHING else?" I know more about breastfeeding than I ever really wanted to know. I drive a minivan. I sometimes go to bed by 8 or 9. And honestly there are a lot of times where I have no social life outside of playdates and walks with a neighborhood mom.
Whether this change is positive or negative is up to you. Some people poke fun at me (most just in sport, but some are derisive), while others think it's great. Sometimes I myself even get a little upset that I'm not having more fun. Particularly when I'm going home with the party crowd, but only because I was watching kids while parents partied. And even if I tried, I probably wouldn't have stayed awake. But later, when I've slept and am in a more rational mood, I have to laugh. Because I'm not a partier. A big night out for me is bowling, or watching a movie at Rachel's house. And if I had my way, I would be married with two kids of my own right now, not out running wild. So in a roundabout way, I'm doing what I really want to do, so what am I complaining about?
What I'm trying to say, just can't seem to condense, is that you have to make the choice to embrace these changes or not. If you can't, I would advise a different job. While I fought it and complained, I found I wasn't happpy, and my employer DID pick up on it a little, just wasn't sure what was wrong with me. Once I realized it was okay to have "no life" according to some people, I felt much better. I still do.
So while friends get frustrated when I can't go do anything fun on a weekday (or even some weekends), I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing until it's not right anymore. In a lot of ways, I hope more people can manage to find happiness like that. A lot of my employers' friends have nanny troubles,and while some people are just hard to work for, I think it's because a lot of people are unprepared for what the job requires and never learn to love it.
But if you think you can handle all the time, attention, attachment, and flexibility that goes into it, give it a shot! It's a great job.
AMEN! Again, you hit home with exactly what I needed to hear. It's nice to know someone else is feeling/experiencing what I am!
ReplyDeleteAnd to all the "friends" out there who poke fun, derisive or not... If there were our biological kids, you'd never make fun. In a way they are "our" kids. Be nice. *stern look*
Excellent point! In situations like mine, for 45+ hours a week, I can be the only "parent" they have, biological or not. They are "my" kids in a big way! (And since you are related to yours, I'm sure she is extra special to you, too.)
ReplyDelete