Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Ricky







\



So I was talking to Ricky this morning and he was jealous that he hasn't gotten a post when Maks did. Of course, Maks died and he doesn't want to die, but I agreed it was fair that he get a post.



Ricky has been my fat little buddy since July. Here is a picture of him as a baby:



Awww he was so sweet. I had just come through a very interesting month (looooong story) which ended with a very interesting week and I had been wanting a hamster for some time. My friend Rachel had been waiting until I got my hamster (which I was supposed to get for my birthday) to get her gerbils but over at my house that night, decided she couldn't wait. I said I would go with her.


We went to the pet store and I saw the hamsters running around and asked to hold them. The first one they brought was rather freaky, with red eyes, and I immediately pushed him away. "No, I'd like to see the other one. The cute one."


They brought him out and he just snuggled up on my arm and twitched his little pink nose. I bought the cage and other necessities and brought him home. He adjusted quickly and was a happy, well-fed little hamster in no time.


Then I brought Maks home and he wasn't too crazy about him. As a matter of fact, the first time they met I was shocked when he let out a "war-squeak" and tried to attack him. But as time went on, they got used to each other and became almost friends...so long as they were in separate cages.






Through thick and thin that little guy is there for me. He's gotten fat and lazy. I have to crinkle the food bag to make him come of out of his little plastic igloo. But when I pick him up, he will look up at me and twitch his nose then scratch his little face and I feel better. Even the one time he got out of his cage (I did a bad job of rigging up a water bottle and he knocked it out and crawled up and out through the hole), he somehow got off the dresser, onto the bed, and was sitting on my pillow squeaking at me. When I woke up, he didn't run but just stared at me as if to say, "Why are you sleeping? Play with me!" I had my laptop charger, cell phone charger, and other assorted cords out. He could have done some real damage, but he didn't chew any of it.

All in all, he is a good little pet and I am very thankful for him...unlike some people (like my employer and my father), who equate him with rats, mice, bugs, and other assorted vermin. He gets a clean cage and a powder bath once a week. This little rodent does NOT have rabies.

1 comment:

  1. He does look rather full-figured. Time to trade his igloo for a running wheel, perhaps? ;)

    It's neat that you two have such a special relationship that you don't mind him crawling into your bed and watching you sleep. If the alternative is that he ruins all your electronics, though, I guess I'd choose to be watched, too. :)

    ReplyDelete