Yay! Tomorrow, Camila's baby sister will arrive.
Things are pretty much ready. We have had the nursery set up, bought diapers and wipes, packed various bags, gotten plans in place, and now all grandparents are here. We are about as ready as we will ever be.
Camila got to experience a little preview of what a baby will be like this weekend. I was babysitting her and had a last-minute addition drop by, a little 5 month old boy. He was a cute baby, and a good baby, and she liked him at first. But while I was giving her a bath, he started to cry. He is not a quiet cryer at all. When I couldn't console him I concluded he was ready for his bottle (his mother had been a little vague as to what time he would need it, but guesstimated later than that). So he had to just cry while I took her out of the tub.
She was not happy. "He c'y! He c'y!" She was starting to get tearful herself.
"Yes, the baby is crying because I need to make his bottle, but we have to get you dressed. It's okay."
She nodded and patted her chest as if to reassure herself. "S'okay. S'okay." But after a minute it was back to "He c'y!"
He settled in the swing for a minute while the bottle heated, then I showed her how he stopped fussing when I gave him the bottle. "See? Babies cry sometimes when they need something, but they stop! He was just hungry." She refused to come within two feet of him for the rest of the night, though.
So this will be interesting, but at least the memory will be fresh in her mind and not a total shock.
We had a rather traumatic day Monday. She is one of the healthiest kids I have ever seen in my life, rarely even has a cold and only occasional trouble teething. She has had maybe one fever that got up to 101 degrees, and even then, she is non-stop energy.
So when she spiked a temp of 104 degrees, grew lethargic to the point of barely awake, and was shaky standing, we were all freaked out. At the doctor, they ran various test. No ear infection, no strep throat, no UTI, no visible cause of infection, but her white blood cell counts were elevated.
We allll went through the ringer that day. She because of the tests, her parents and I from having to watch the tests. Having five brothers and worked in daycare, you would think nothing could shake me, but I was sick to my stomach. I've been with her 15 months out of her 17 month life, she's like my own! Added to the fact that she is NEVER sick, I just didn't know what to do. I only half-jokingly told my friends that night that I am never having kids because I could never go through that with my own child.
Long story short, they gave her an antibiotic shot to help fight whatever the infection was and since Motrin was bringing the fever back down, sent her home. She ran low-grade temp yesterday but acted as if she felt better, and today is pretty much normal. (We're staying home all day again today though, just to be safe.) The good part about the whole thing is that it happened BEFORE the baby. Now we don't have to bar her from the hospital (nobody wants her to be left out, and it will be good for her to see her mother every day), and we don't have to worry about the baby getting sick.
So now everyone is okay and getting ready for tomorrow! Next time you hear from me, it will probably be about the baby!
You're getting lots of "mommy" practice! ....and you're doing a great job!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to see the new one!