I don't even know where to start. It's been a week. A somewhat long week. But we are making it and I think doing rather well. I had to work both days of the weekend, but before I appear victimized, I did volunteer for Saturday. Of course, I had also agreed to babysit elsewhere that evening, not realizing that job was going to be 3-10, so I ended up with a 12 hour workday on a Saturday. But again, I volunteered.
This morning Camila went to church with me and actually stayed in the nursery by herself the whole time! I will never pick on people for not leaving their kids in the nursery again; that was nerve-wracking. But she was doing well, and I knew if she was okay with it, it would be a good experience for her and allow me to get more out of the service. She is, after all, almost 18 months old, and scheduled to attend a local Mom's Day Out in the fall.
Our journey to church was a long one. The day before, we had discussed my driving her grandma to the airport, but they had to get something straightened out. They said they would text or call me later. I never heard from them so I assumed they didn't need me over till 9.
However, I had to drop my brother off at church at 8, so just to be on the safe side, I got dressed for church and packed the car. When I dropped him off, I texted them to confirm. Sure enough, they texted back to please get there as soon as I could, I DID need to drive her to the airport, they had just forgotten to text. Lucky for them I think of these things and had stayed in the general area. I dressed Camila for church and packed her snack then we piled into the car. She made it in plenty of time.
We ended up having almost 40 minutes before church, so I stopped at Starbucks (I had a giftcard) for a snack. They actually had a highchair! I was impressed. Anyway, I fed her the snack I had packed and got my favorite drink (a caramel apple spice by the way), and in walked probably one of the nicest looking guys I have ever seen in my city. As we single girls do, I assessed the situation. Very tall, easily 6' 4, sandy brown hair, a little facial hair but not too much, engaging smile, very neat and trim haircut, dressed for church (I'm assuming anyway) and appeared to be buying a homeless man a drink. My thoughts came to a screeching halt when I saw the ring on his finger. I sighed and went back to my drink.
Camila had noticed him, too, and tried to help out. She dropped her sippy cup and he turned around, picked it up, and smiled at her. "What pretty blue eyes!" She grinned back and thanked him.
Good with kids too...doesn't THAT figure?
Well anyway, we eventually left and went to church. After her little nap, she was extremely social so we walked around talking to people before coming home. She stayed up and played for a few minutes but soon conked out for a 2-hour nap. This gave me time to straighten up and eventually take Baby Emi for a while.
When I am a mom, I am going to have a recliner and my children and I are going to nap in it. Now I don't have a recliner here, but Emi likes to curl up on my chest to sleep, and I lay back on the couch with her. Today she didn't sleep long enough for me to sleep, but it's sooo sweet when they do that. I absolutely love it.
Camila got up and we played and went for a walk and played more. Eventually I went back to church. Her daddy was able to come home for a little while and get her in bed before having to leave. I got back soon after.
And I am typing from the guest room/Emi's future room. After church I got some doughnuts, came back here, and finished straightening the house. I offered to take the baby if she wouldn't go back to sleep after eating but they said she was asleep.
I have to admit I have always been a little horrified at the idea of being a live-in nanny, and still wouldn't ever want to do it, but I am happy to be sleeping here tonight. Finally, I don't have to worry about any of them, I am here if they need me, and I don't mind playing mom once in a while. (Plus they have wireless internet.) Now by tomorrow night I may be ready for my own bed and that vacation. But for tonight, I am happy to be near my girls and to know that everyone is okay.
No comments:
Post a Comment