Tuesday, April 20, 2010

In the Clouds

So I am on my first full day of vacation today. I don't count yesterday because I was traveling alllll day. As in, I left my house at 4 am and didn't reach Connecticut till almost 5 pm. I am here for a week now, visiting my grandmother and other members of my dad's family. We are having quite a fun time!
I have to say, yesterday was not that bad. I used to be deathly afraid of heights but am doing better with them. Flying doesn't bother me in the least. As a matter of fact, I find takeoff gives me a bit of a rush. I wish I could stick my head out the window, but they don't let you do that. :(
Then when we're up in the sky, I just love it. I dozed off yesterday but for the most part, I look out the window. I love when we head for a ceiling of clouds, get lost, then emerge in almost another land completely, with snowy white floors and endless blue skies. It looks like you could run and laugh and play and jump in the clouds and never get hurt. It's just amazing.
It makes me feel peaceful. I found that while I was up there, in spite of the couple next to me groping each other in a most distasteful manner, I felt calm. There were no stressful thoughts of work, church, being terminally single, or having to anywhere at a specific time. I was just THERE, in that moment, in the sky, and strangely, I almost wanted to stay there. I wondered what it would feel like to climb out of the plane, have a seat on a cloud, and for God to just come talk to me. Right then, it felt possible.
Of course I eventually landed and came to the reality that if you climb out of a plane, you die. If you try to sit on a cloud, you die. But God can still talk to us at least. I haven't been talking to Him like I should but maybe...maybe this is the start of a healing process of sorts. Maybe I need to walk around with my head in the clouds more often. :)

2 comments: