So far my vacation is progressing very nicely. My grandma and I hung out all day yesterday, eating and shopping. Today, we drove through Massachusetts and visited my great-grandparents then went on to my aunt's house where I am staying the night so we can leave early for New York City tomorrow!
I feel more peaceful on so many levels. Just being away from my hometown is helping. I won't go into detail, but sometimes things get stirred up in different places and it helps to just get away for a little while.
There is no work, which is good and bad. I need a break from the responsibility, but I miss my girls. I spoke to Camila on the phone last night. She had such a tiny, cute voice.
Something else that is helping calm my nerves is hearing the family stories. There has been a lot of ups and downs in this family, but right now, most people are in a really good place. It helps me to see that really, everything will most likely be all right. There were times in their lives when their whole world had fallen apart....spouses died, siblings died, divorces happened, they moved to places they hated, children disappointed...and they're all fine now. They survived, and things DID get better. And honestly, a lot of these people are not Christians, so they didn't even have a relationship with God to get them through. So if they can make it alone, surely I will be able to make it too, and maybe even better, with Jesus by my side. Right?
So while things aren't perfect even within the family, I am getting some encouragement, which is every bit as useful on a vacation as fun! (Although I intend to have TONS of fun tomorrow! Yay me!) ;)
So glad you can have time with your grandmother and listen to all her stories. (Maybe you can use some in your writing someday....when you ever get back to writing again.)
ReplyDelete