Monday, March 8, 2010

Exercise

Did you know kids are very conducive to exercise? Especially at the ages we're at right now: toddler and infant. I'm sure most people realize toddlers are very active. Between games of chase, jumping up and down in a bouncer, and "horsey" rides, you get your exercise. They can also "enhance" normal forms of exercise. For example, walk a mile. Then, walk a mile (mostly uphill) pushing a stroller UP said hill, with a 28 pound toddler in the stroller. You'll find it changes things. But it also makes it more interesting, because you have a buddy to chat with, even if conversation is limited to trees, squirrels, "BEEEG t'ucks" (big trucks), and "noisy dogs".
Infants seem pretty easy to handle. After all, they don't weigh very much and can't move. However, try doing housework with 8 extra pounds of weight strapped on (vacuuming, dishes, etc). I've found I feel a little bit of a difference. The main difference, though, is that while the baby is in a carrier of some sort (we call ours the "kangaroo pack" because you carry the baby low-slung against your stomach in the front), you can't bend over! So try squatting for everything instead of bending. You feel it, I promise. ;)
Anyway, those are my thoughts for today, short, but I have a little bit more to do before a very active little person wakes up. :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I believe it, and I don't know how you find all the engergy! I can be active for... oh, maybe an hour or so a day ;)

    ReplyDelete