Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Two-for-One Deal

Today has been both a sunny and a rainy day. This morning, while it was overcast, the sun peeped out occasionally. Since I knew it was going to rain, I packed Camila up right away and headed to the park. The temperature was somewhere around 65 most of the morning, I believe: perfect long-sleeved, not-too-hot-but-not-cold weather. We stayed for two hours at the park and had it to ourselves most of the morning. She ran up and down the slide, had to climb up every set of stairs, jumped in and out of the swings, and sometimes just ran into the wind, arms out and curls flying. (Sadly, I forgot the camera!!!!) She even learned a new word: "gazebo". It was one of those days when you can just pretend everything is fine and dandy with the world. That is, except for the ducks...I think it's nesting season because they were VERY aggressive today. They kind of creeped me out. There is one that I am now determined is rabid or something, I have not seen him in the water for six days. But that's beside the point.

It was perhaps not such a good day for Abby Cadabby, one of Camila's favorite characters. First, I had to save the Abby doll from being thrown off the bridge. (We were feeding the ducks from the bridge and apparently she was dangerously near the bread.) Then, as we walked down the path, Camila was sipping from her juice in her Abby sippy cup. She dropped it and it rolled downhill, right into a stormdrain. I sighed and got on the ground, desperately hoping I wouldn't have to reach in and pick it up. (There are rats in those things sometimes!) Thankfully I couldn't even see it, so I was spared. I just can't say the same for poor Abby.

By the time we left it was lunchtime and I decided to stop at McDonald's on the way home. I tried to be responsible. I got her a cheeseburger Happy Meal but got apples and juice with it, a salad for me, and a value order of fries for us to share. (I'm trying to minimize my junk food intake too.) Do you know that child refused to eat the apples? She shook her head after tasting one and said "Ewww." She LOVES apples! I ate them, and they tasted fine. It could just be the cheeseburger and fries tasted better. But she'd had a yogurt and a cereal bar for snack, so I figured she'd had her fruit intake for this meal. Plus she DID drink the juice.

Then we came home and she has been napping for a while now. The sky grew more and more overcast until some rain fell, but softly, not abrasively. I got some housework done and am now sitting here with a healthy snack of juice and carrots, the dishwasher running in the background and rain falling outside, both girls asleep, thinking "this is the good part of rainy days". :)

1 comment:

  1. It's been raining here, too. Glad you've found a good way to spend the day. :)

    ReplyDelete